Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study confirms
Quote:Why would it be outrageous to say, based on genetic evidence, that a certain population group might have originated from point X? I find studies like the recent Nat. Geographic about the spread of Phoenicians throughout the western Med based on genetic study quite interesting and eye opening as it shatters points many had taken for granted.
If by such studies one could find out, per example, a close relation between North Iberian populations and the original Britons (before Anglos, Romans, etc..) then that much better.
I believe there is still to much stigma attached to such a modern and useful tool as genetics nowadays and we should really try to diasociate it with the demented rampage of Germany in the 30´and 40´ since it does not invalidate its reality and modern use.
I think you miss the point, there is nothing outrageous in searching the origin of a given population on genetic grounds, the problem was with mixing of political or cultural terms. celtic is a cultural definition, sometimes used in politics, but not a biological one. Celtic are not genetically different just because that is not a genetically related term, and its use on genetic grounds is misleading. The same goes for English, of course.
BTW It has been known already for years the close genetic relation between the Basques and the population of Britain and especially Ireland, but the preneolithic fishermen theory seems to me rather bizarre, It has been generally asumed that those relatively isolated populations simply has preserved better than others the original genetic composition of the first wave of European post ice age colonization. It is true that there is a IB haplogroup subclade that can only be found in significant numbers among the Basques of Southern France, and beyond that only in very small numbers in Western Ireland and Norway. This genetic marker has been related to Basque fishermen mixing with native population, but in Historical times, as their activitty in the area can be determined as early as the XIII century, but certainly not to neolithic times.
AKA Inaki

Messages In This Thread
Re: Celts descended from Spanish fishermen, study confirms - by Aryaman2 - 09-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Who\'s going to win the Human Race - by ambrosius - 10-23-2006, 03:45 AM