Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
coin confirms the existence of Domitianus AD271?
OK, Dan, here's more info on your coin:<br>
<br>
The harbor depicted is not Ostia, as I remembered, but Centumcellae (now Civitavecchia). Trajan built this port starting in AD 106 because Ostia was becoming increasingly overburdened and unstatisfactory; it remains Rome's primary seaport to this day.<br>
<br>
Depending on the obverse legend, it could either be RIC 471 (ob. legend ends COS V P P), RIC 631 (ob. legend ends COS VI P P, laureate head right) or 632 (laureate, draped bust right). All of these coins are rated as Rarity 2, which means 10-15 known specimens known at time of publication.<br>
<br>
It is also no. 3188 in David Sear's new book, Roman Coins & Their Values Vol. II (Nerva-Severus Alexander). It is valued at $2,500 in fine condition (that is, heavily worn but still legible), $6,500 in very fine condition and a whopping $25,000 in extremely fine condition.<br>
<br>
Dan, one of the reasons I am coming to Munich this weekend is for the annual Munich coin and artifact fair. This is a really big event, attended by coin and antiquity dealers from all over Europe and the US; I imagine it ought to be somewhat larger than the Trier fair (although it sounds like you snagged some highly significant pieces there!). You'd also very likely be able to find a Caligula denarius at a reasonable price.<br>
<br>
If you'd like to come down to Munich for Saturday and/or Sunday, you can certainly share my hotel room for the night (and no, I'm not being fresh!). I'll wager you'll find some significant military artifacts there, at the very least.<br>
<br>
T. Flavius Crispus<br>
Legio VI Victrix Pia Fidelis<br>
California, USA<br>
<p></p><i></i>
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius

Messages In This Thread
Re: coin confirms the existence of Domitianus AD271? - by FlaviusCrispus - 03-01-2004, 07:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star When did cohors equitata milliaria come into existence? musterion 9 1,207 10-16-2020, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Steven James
  The last decades of the existence of praetorians comitatus (Marco) 17 5,843 11-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Domitianus - the lost Emperor? Arthes 0 1,138 11-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Arthes