Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of "Gladiatrix" by Russell Whitfield
Hi Russ, great book.
A bit of everything you fancy really- sex, combat, romance, humour, more combat and more sex....
:mrgreen:
Appeals to just about everyone.

I can't comment on historical facts as my knowledge is far more limited than others regarding this

However, the thing that impressed me more than anything else though was the consistency of the characters personalities even in vastly different scenarios. You got the psychology spot on for this, and especially the prisoner mentality, and the way some women who were sneered at, or deemed 'inadequate' barbarians came into their own, but in a realistic manner (i.e. they didn't suddenly change from seemingly hairy, uncouth rough-around-the edges common women into sexy, well toned warrior princesses (a la soppy 'ugly duckling becomes swan princess' type crap) but the way they turned out to be more intelligent and agile than Lysandra gave them credit for but in a subtle way. I loved the way you portrayed Lysandra too, although the heroine and main focus of the story, although admirable, she had faults, she wasn't perfect and was downright stupid and naive in her arrogance a lot of the time. The character evoked both dislike and schadenfreude as well as pity and admiration. I loved the emotional rollercoaster that was evident from the way the characters went from thinking they were invincible one minute to being totally floored by despair and hopelessness the next, and the way they reacted in the ever uncertain environment. Great novel, great storyline and above all, spot on and very individual characters and the way they reacted physically and mentally to their plights in a most realistic way- truth is stranger than fiction, and this novel was more believable from a psychological point of view- whether historically inacurrate or not-, and therefore far more fascinating than any I have read in a long time.
I look forward to your next book

10 out of 10
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum

Messages In This Thread
Gladiatrix - by muskitear - 03-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Re: Review of "Gladiatrix" by Russell Whitfield - by Memmia - 04-09-2009, 07:01 AM