Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrack Sizes and fort layouts
Hey guys,

I am in need of some help for a reconstruction I am comissioning for the Pons Aelius (Newcastle) fort in the northeast of England.

Firstly, in a barracks blocks, how many soldiers would the single block catter for? I was under the impression it was 80 including the centurion, and that the centurion resided at the very end of the block in his own room, and all the other 80 soldiers shared 10 rooms with 8 spaces each, forming a contubernium. Is this correct?

A modern reconstruction can be seen here at the Arbeia fort, also in the northeast:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... rracks.jpg

The Pons Aelius fort was roughly 1.53 acres in size, and a good diagram of what it may have looked like can be seen here:

[Image: newcastle1986jl7.th.gif]

This fort was believed to hold roughly about 480 men, so therefore about 6 barracks if my above observations are correct. However, according to this plan, how can 4 barracks blocks, 2 granaries, a praetorium and the CO's house be fitted in such a large space? There would be a lot of extra space which I do not know what to do with. Would there be any other buildings?

There is not a problem in making it with only the above buldings, but then it does look a bit quadratic rather than rectangular shaped as in the diagram: (and yes I had a lot of fun painting it)

[Image: plan2eq5.th.jpg]

So am I missing anything? Is my understanding of a barracks block fundamentally flawed? What other buildings could the fort possibly have to make it more rectangular? lol

Messages In This Thread
Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by Arahne - 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Re: Barrack Sizes and fort layouts - by jkaler48 - 05-08-2008, 06:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Everyday Items found in a Barrack Block Paul Elliott 2 1,133 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott