Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castra Romana-Pompeii II Cancelled
The Roman Army Festival, Castra Romana Pompeii II is officially cancelled

The track now places the storm EYE on Georgetown, SC Saturday morning. The rain bands will cover most of North Carolina, and may include tropical storm force winds as far inland as Charlotte.

The decision was based on several criteria:

1. Travel dangers for the 30+ participants from Georgia, SC, Florida.
2. Traffic problems due to possible evacuations.
3. Tropical Storm Force winds in the Charlotte Area and associated safety concerns.
4. Heavy Rainfall causing the field to mud up and be destroyed by foot traffic.
5. Lack of public attendance due to Storm conditions Saturday morning.
6. Re-enactors canceling (21 already) due to weather

I stress that this decision is not made lightly. Many of us have a considerable time and financial investment in the event, and I must stress that the Museum gave me the final call. I do not want anyone of my family (you guys) hurt just to have an event. It is possible the storm will turn and the weather in Charlotte will be beautiful, but we still face the spectre of half the re-enactors having to travel thru the storm to arrive, and the other half driving thru it to get home.

Hotel reservations must be cancelled by 3pm of the day you were slated to arrive.

Gents who sent me their gear, I will ship it back next week, I am currently activated for Hanna and will not have time to get to it until we secure. It is safely stored.

We have discussed a possible reschedule later, but will decide at a future time. Just monitor the Yahoo Group.

Roman Days is September 24-26 at George Mason, lets try to Support them.

If you can drop us a prayer that the storm will stay mild, please do. My squad will be on James and Johns Island (Barrier Islands of Charelston).

My humblest apologies, it hurts, but we have to go with the track.

Rusty

PS: Unit Leaders, PLEASE help get the word out! I will post this on RAT and the Yahoo groups of the units coming, but I do not want to get a call Friday from someone who did not get the message. R

REM CURATE, OMNES LEGIONES!

CONVOCATUR ITER FACERE AD CHARLOTTE, URBEM IN CAROLINAS SETENTRIONALIS, DUAS DIES
UBI DECURSUS ET EXERCITATIONES ET OSTENTATIONES ARMORUM
TELORUMQUE COMMUNICABITIS.

[Attention, all legions! You are summoned to Charlotte, a city in North Carolina for 2 days
where you will partake in maneuvers and drills and displays of offensive and defensive weapons.]

Discovery Place is pleased to invite Roman civilian, legion and gladiator reconstruction groups from throughout the southeast and the United States to participate in a living history tableau of a Roman military encampment

Castra Romana – Pompeii II

In historic downtown Charlotte, North Carolina

Discovery Place is also honored to host the Legions, Gladiators, and their guests
At a private evening, Saturday, to include complementary admission to
the international exhibition A Day in Pompeii, with guided tour;
all science galleries filled with fun hands-on science exhibits;

Check out www.discoveryplace.org for more information on the exhibition (web site will be up in March 2008).

Castra Romana combined with the exhibition A Day In Pompeii provides an exceptional opportunity to educate the public on what daily life was like in a provincial first century A.D. Roman town and for the Roman armies that built the great Roman Empire.

LOGISTICS

Encampment set-up begins Thursday September 4, 2008
Encampment location: The Fourth Ward Park, two blocks from the Science Center Public hours: The encampment will be open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday
School group tours: (to be scheduled) Friday 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. For legion groups that are already encamped.

HEADQUARTERS HOTEL: We have a reserved block of rooms booked at a discounted rate of $59/night. There are 5 rooms for Thursday and 15 rooms for Friday and Saturday. The hotel is just a few blocks from the park. Tell them you are part of the ROMAN ARMY FESTIVAL to get the special rate!! The regular rate is $129, so this is a great deal.
Doubletree Hotel Charlotte-Gateway Village
www.doubletree.com

895 W. Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
(704) 347-0070

Vendors:
Vendors of Roman Period Wares are also invited to attend

Web Site and Information:
For more information about participating in the event, please contact Rusty Myers of Legio VI, Re-enacting coordinator, at [email protected] or 843-437-5587
and be sure to visit the event website:
www.castraromana-pompeii.com
and join the Yahoo group for updates and additional information.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pompeiireborn/

Messages In This Thread
Castra Romana-Pompeii II Cancelled - by rusty myers - 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Hotel Info - by rusty myers - 06-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Updates - by rusty myers - 06-22-2008, 04:06 PM
2 months out - by rusty myers - 07-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Hotel Info for Charlotte - by rusty myers - 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Update and CAR info needed - by rusty myers - 08-13-2008, 08:53 PM
latest updates from Pompeii - by rusty myers - 08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Room in your hotel room? - by rusty myers - 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
More rooms allocated - by rusty myers - 08-26-2008, 07:19 PM
sorry - by Caius Fabius - 08-26-2008, 11:12 PM
TS/ Hurricane Hanna - by rusty myers - 09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Hurricane Hanna Updates - by rusty myers - 09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Cancelled - by rusty myers - 09-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Castra Romana Roper Mountain In South Carolina rusty myers 0 1,251 09-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rusty myers
  Castra Romana X, South Carolina rusty myers 2 1,503 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Last Post: rusty myers
  Castra Romana IX rusty myers 6 2,102 11-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius