Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earliest known Roman and Greek Renactment of Battles
Dawn here -AKA Theateofwar

Looked into the idea of Gladiators / Romans - they came from the entarage of a funeral - no one got killed at the start. They had two people doing a mock fight.

I suppose the idea of Gladiators might have referred to what the person did when he died. Perhaps the person was a warroior . Those Romans loved a bit of Drama! This is my speculation - a kind of entertainment as the procession moved along.

Interestingly enough one famous Greek guy called Heroditus witnessed in Egypt during a festival a mock battle???? Could this be the earliest re-enactment?????

I know in Greek Theatre - there was an altar on stage - technically it came out of a temple. A place where you could do things you could not do in real life . A bit like a preist re -enacting how Cain killed Abel.
The theatre was a place to instruct and learn about everthing including war.

I know that Greek Generals were asked to put on a military dance when they came back from a triumphant battle - perhaps when they performed the mock battle dances to represent how /the tactics they won the battle.- they probably used the losers shields and weapons during the re-enactment/mock battle and just left them there/ Temple/theatre out of harms reach and in a safe place. Also to remind others what they have done smiliar to regimental flags seen in churches representing the colours of a regiment? (my thoughts but it kind of makes sense).

I suppose when people came to the temple/Theatre - these shields and weapons would be seen like an offering to the Gods- (They have protected us in battle and here is the proof).?????

Dawn aka Theateofwar

Messages In This Thread
Battle re-enactments - by TheatreofWar - 09-19-2008, 08:00 AM