Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD)
Hi Adrian,

I'm sure that the draco was also an imperial standard (Ammianus certainly describes personal dracos for Julian and Constantius), but we have no evidence to show that it was only that.
The name of this colour (purpure) seems to have been of a reddish colour that the 'imperial purple' that we have in mind.

Arrian's first descriptions of the draco in the Roman cavalry certainly makes no mention of these being imperial only.
The Scriptores Historiae Augustae (Gallieni ii 8.6) mentions drcos belonging to all the legios.
Vegetius (Epitoma rei militaris 2.7) refers to draconarii as the new name for all standardbearers, and indeed that each cohort (2.13) has a draco.
Zosimus (Historia Nova 3.19) describes the loss of a draco which angered Julian, but he does not describe it as Julian's standard.
Maurikios (Strategikon, 12.7) mentions draconarii as normal grades among many (drill masters, standard bearers or draconarii, trumpeters, armorers, weapon makers, bowmakers, arrow makers).

I see no problem with the paired legions of the Heruli and Batavi sharing a single vexillum - I assume that this might has been the standard of their (single) commander, who would no doubt have a personal one. But the Heruli and Batavi would also have had their own standards, these being dracos, vexilla or perhaps even both.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) - by Robert Vermaat - 11-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,734 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,939 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,069 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James