Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the description of Sphacteria has to tell us
Quote:I'll start with the fact that the "piloi" were not protecting the Spartans from arrows. It has beed discussed again,but how possible is it that the word "pilos" here is refering not to the metal conical helmet,but to the felt cap worn under the helmet? How can a corinthian,or better,a chalkidean helmet protect much better than a pilos,provided the men fighting in a phalanx are covered by their shields? The shield can cover you to the eyes.

I have wondered about this. The pilos doesn't protect the neck as well as a Corinthian, but it is the face and throat that are the main areas uncovered. I wonder how much of the lack of protection is mentally percieved by the hoplites. They could cover with thier shields, but it does not change the fact that the old corinthian offers a level of mental comfort with that bronze in front of your face. Perhaps Thukydides is not just referring to the protection in this instance, but letting us in on a discussion current among the hoplites of his day as to the best helmet types. Also, they were being showered with arrows from the flanks, so protecting the face from all angles was impossible.

Quote:Another thing that adds to the theory that only just before contact did the hoplites close ranks, Thucydides mentions that after they got tired running around the same spot,pursuing the peltasts,they closed ranks and retreated.(the word used is "synklesantes" ξυγκλήσαντες"). I suppose the closed ranks in order to be safer in a quick rear attack by the Athenian hoplites.

What is the exact meaning of synklesantes? What context is the root word commonly used in?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: What the description of Sphacteria has to tell us - by PMBardunias - 11-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Re: Sphacteria - by Paralus - 11-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-17-2008, 04:40 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Sphacteria - by Paullus Scipio - 11-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Re: Sphacteria - by Scythian - 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM