Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Akira Kurosawa -- The Art of Film Exhibition
You're quite right Gaius, we do compare films and awards all the time. It is a very subjective process.

To your point -- indeed there is a shared cultural language in Japan that allows, to some degree, for a level of historical knowledge to be assumed. Almost a cultural shorthand that allows a film maker to concentrate on the story at hand and not spend time explaining the cultural context. I would hazard to guess that this has slipped a bit in Japan today. It is often the case when speaking with kids from Japan that they know little or nothing about the Kabuki Theatre. Then again I know very little about Jazz music. :oops:

Your example of Gladiator makes sense and it would be interesting indeed to see a film done along those lines. I remember in a thread of some time ago that someone is making a film of the book "Eagle of the Ninth" (I might have that title wrong.) Perhaps that will be more along the lines you're speaking of.

Good points Gaius. Smile

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Messages In This Thread
Re: Akira Kurosawa -- The Art of Film Exhibition - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 11-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Re: Akira Kurosawa -- The Art of Film Exhibition - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 11-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Re: Akira Kurosawa -- The Art of Film Exhibition - by Narukami - 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM