Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas
Quote:As the only surviving example of the style, the Verdana cuirasse, is metal, its worth considering that the tube and yoke could be an all metal harness or metal on a fabric/leather substrate, or mixed media...

I think it was Sekunda who suggested they were all metal, but I don't have the reference. Do you have a reference for them being a composite of metal plates in a fabric or leather matrix? I came up with this possibility a while back based on two analogies: 1) I was looking at central asian plate armor in a mail matrix and realized that if you did not have mail you would achieve the same end with a linen or leather shell. 2) The various linked plate harnesses of Magna Grecia may be analogous to the metal plates without the shell, but linked by rings (Does one row of rings count as proto-mail?)

I'd like to see what others have said and what evidence they cite.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Linothorax vs Quilted linen vs spolas - by PMBardunias - 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linothorax vs Spolas katsika 109 32,603 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer