Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight and grip of sarissa and shield in macedonian phalanx
Quote:Personally, as I have indicated on another thread, I think Connolly ( and others) have it right......

Which image? He shows at least three different poses: side-on with the shield facing laterally as his son is in the Pydna paper, 3/4 as he is in the sarissa paper and simply standing up relatively squared to the fore in the group images of the same paper with the shield facing forward. It may be relevant that pole vaulters can run quite fast with an awkward, though lighter, pole held facing forward with the left arm across the chest.

My inclination is to believe the standard pose was someplace between the last two, with the side-on stance reserved for a static close order formation.

:wink: PADDLE...PADDLE....
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Weight and grip of sarissa and shield in macedonian phalanx - by PMBardunias - 09-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Article on Reenacting a Macedonian Phalanx Sean Manning 6 55,371 06-02-2021, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Macedonian phalanx: overarm or underarm? Justin Swanton 3 3,429 03-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  The Nature of Command in the Macedonian Sarissa Phalanx Steven James 0 2,399 10-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Steven James