Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity in the roman empire.
Quote:I'm a Christian but I would stand up for Timotheus's post/opinion. Whether it is right or wrong, a great deal of people think that the church was always an evil torturer of non believers in its quest to convert the world. That was more applicable in the medieval times for sure, but some people get the idea that this was always the case before our "modern" times. If he is telling what he thinks was the case in this time, I wouldnt call it bashing Christians. It caused a good debate and revealed knowlege for sure.

-Nihonius

I agree with that. Most religious groups have stories from the past about over-zealous attempts at converting. This doesn't mean the whole religion is evil. Its just a statement of things that have happened. If you took that into more recent events just because there is a tiny group of Muslim extremists it doesn't mean the religion of Islam is inherently bad. I don't condone these attacks btw. Christians in the distant past have led pogroms and the Spanish Inquisition weren't exactly the nicest blokes but they were just a miniscule proportion of Christians.
I think Timotheus was just expressing a viewpoint and wasn't meant to offend anyone. I'm agnostic myself but with an entire family of Christians (except my younger brother who's either atheist or an anarchist) I have nothing against Christians.
Jeremy Latcham
Quae caret ora cruore nostro?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Christianity in the roman empire. - by Magnus - 05-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Re: Christianity in the roman empire. - by Aquilinus - 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity and the Late Roman Empire Valerian Pertinax 29 5,755 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Alanus