Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My travel in UK
Hi !

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I crossed back the channel ! The weather was perfect and I really enjoyed England, people were really helpful so it was great and I was really sad to leave Britain probably one of the most beautiful place at this time of spring.

On a roman point of view I missed a lot of places I wanted to visit but I underestimated the time I needed to visit nurseries (English are truly world gardening champions) and after 6p.m a lot of places are closed except pubs and supermarkets.
You're right, the coasts are really riches of good sites that I had to neglect. I took however an overseas pass to English heritage which revealed to be a good deal. So I Finally visited Battle abbey, Old Sarum, Stonehenge, Woodhenge, Salisbury cathedral. Perhaps not what I would have chosen if I had been alone.
Unfortunately the ashmolean museum in Oxford is closed till next november, I should have checked before but anyways Oxford time was really great and I bankrupted myself in bookshops.

Finally I mainly saw roman artefacts at the British museum. I stayed here the whole day and I only had time to take pictures and sketches (It's legal and particularly interesting for future artefacts copying !)of the roman artefacts and early middle-age which interested me. A quick stop in the coptic egypt room, a light speed visit in the parthenon room, another for the roset stone and it was time to leave. This museum is clearly one of my prefered places on the whole earth. So it ripped my heart off to leave at closing time, I hope to be back next year...

Bye !
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD

Messages In This Thread
My travel in UK - by Bran ap Maclou - 05-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Re: My travel in UK - by M. Demetrius - 05-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Re: My travel in UK - by Materfamilias - 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Re: My travel in UK - by Caballo - 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Re: My travel in UK - by Materfamilias - 05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Re: My travel in UK - by Bran ap Maclou - 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Re: My travel in UK - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Re: My travel in UK - by Medicus matt - 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM