Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery
Hello Quintus and Demetrius,

That's what I'm getting at. The components of any bow, whatever its style, are organic and disappear in the archaeological strata. Those elder bows found in good condition today come from such places as the Takla Makan, where the salinity of the soil has preserved them uniquely. One would think the dryness of Egypt would have the same effect, although the rise of the inundation in ancient times may account for a more rapid deterioration than occurs today.

I doubt any self bow, one too worn or having a "set," could be used in the opposite direction. The dynamics of the wood will not allow it. The bow will snap. Also, a recurve bow was initially built in a design configuration for that particular purpose. It was built to certain lengths that could not be exceeded: the limits in length found in the horn inner-side. This compound construction rarely exceeds 60 inches (sorry, I'm a USAian).

Hide glue would certainly work. It still does today. But it is not as water-proof as sturgeon glue (and other fish glues). These glues were used for other applications, not just in bows. Scribes used fish glue in preference to hide glues. The Native Americans used hide glue, but we should remember that truly ancient NA compound bows have not been found. Those examples available to us were built during the period of European discovery, only a few hundred years ago. They may look "old," but they are new in the relative age of artificia.

None of this explains which is older, the Egyptian or Assyrian bow... although I would opt for the Assyrian since they were contiginous to the original steppe cultures that probably invented the first compounds, and who eventually developed the advanced bow with "ears." Smile
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Archery - by Quintus Aurelius Lepidus - 07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Re: Archery - by Matthew Amt - 07-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Re: Archery - by Alanus - 07-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Re: Archery - by M. Demetrius - 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM