Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea
Quote:Firstly, let me begin with an apology to Paralus/Michael, for my rather forthright and too strongly worded post of 31st Oct....in mitigation, I can only plead over-tiredness, and my own frustration at views which I, after many years study, have concluded are more than likely to be incorrect.

Very kind but unnecessary.

Quote:He agrees with Herodotus that were three graves - but there was only one common grave for all the "Lacedaemonians". ( Spartans, perioikoi and Helots) Pausanias is an eye witness and accurate about things he had actually seen, as here. H. does not seem to have visited the place for he relies on "inquiry/ asking others".

Whilst Herodotus might have confused three graves with three Spartan graves, it seems unlikely that he would. And whereas I would not dispute Herodotus’ lack of travel to some places in his “History”, I imagine he likely visited Plataea. It is possible that the tomb itself was sectioned into three so as the “classes” listed were buried discretely. (Where was I reading about the Spartans buried at Athens recently - AW??)

Quote:Even if Herodotus' description is correct, it is possible that his term 'Spartans' here means of the whole "Lakedaemonian Army", for while a Lakedaemonian might clearly understand the difference between 'Lakedaemonians' ( people from lakedaemon, including 'perioikoi'; 'spartans' - people from the city of Sparta; and 'Spartiatoi/Homioi'; the aristocracy of Sparta), outsiders such as Herodotus or Thucydides might use the terms 'Lakedaemonian' or 'Spartans' interchangeably ( in respect of the Army, because the army was 'Spartan' led, as the Italian Army was 'Roman' led.).

It may well be that the terms are used as you say. The only point that militates against it is Herodotus’ clear separation of the periocoi and “Spartiates” in the Lacedaemonian army on the Greek right and the fact that no periocoi are listed among the dead (Of the Lacedaemonians from Sparta ninety-one all together were killed in battle; of the Tegeans, seventeen and of the Athenians, fifty-two - 9.70.5).

Paul Mac – along with Ghostmojo and Ariobazarnes – make the point of the interchagability of the terms. I don’t disagree: at times this happens. The passage upon which I based the periocic brigading was the battle line up was a little clearer though:

Quote:Presently the whole Greek army was arrayed as I will show, both the later and the earliest comers. On the right wing were ten thousand Lacedaemonians; five thousand of these, who were Spartans, had a guard of thirty-five thousand light-armed helots, seven appointed for each man. The Spartans chose the Tegeans for their neighbors in the battle, both to do them honor, and for their valor; there were of these fifteen hundred men-at-arms. Next to these in the line were five thousand Corinthians, at whose desire Pausanias permitted the three hundred Potidaeans from Pallene then present to stand by them.

Herodotus goes on to list the contingents over to the left wing held by the Athenians. We have 5,000 homoioi alongside of whom, to their left, are the Tegeans. In both instances Herodotus uses the term Spartiate. As I say, it makes more sense that the perioici were in the rear ranks of the Laconian phalanx; the homoioi occupying the front four along the line. Several may have been wounded but, seemingly, none died. This would make better use of the 5,000 premier soldiers of the Greeks.

Time to get back to spreadsheets: I have a Melbourne Cup day form to peruse….
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea - by Paralus - 11-02-2009, 03:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plataea 2021 List of Research Topics Sean Manning 13 3,292 01-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Strength and Organization of the Persian Army at Plataea Sean Manning 16 7,115 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Battle of Plataea hoplite07 14 3,858 08-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio