Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindonissa Catalog
Avete!<br>
Hey, look, I'm posting, not just replying!<br>
<br>
Just got a belated Christmas present from my beloved sister, "Katalog der Militaria aus Vindonissa", by Christoph Unz and Eckhard Deschler-Erb (ISBN 3-907549-04-X). It's in German, so I can't read it, but it's FABULOUS. It has a whole page of sword pommels and guards (though we've seen the most exciting ones in Bishop and Coulston), a page of grips, a page of pugio blades (all the narrow kind) and a page of pugio hilts (all iron), 2 pages of lorica strap and buckle fittings, nearly a page of lacing loops, almost a page of lobed hinges, 2 and a half pages of stamped or scribed belt plates (mostly ring motif), 2 and a half pages of cast plates, AND almost 2 pages of plain plates, and then come the buckles and frogs!<br>
<br>
There is much more, trust me. I boggled. Looks like almost all the lorica parts are Corbridge types, A and B, with a half-dozen or so that are probably Kalkriese (including what looks like a mid-collar plate!). There are a couple of hinged-together segments, like those on a strap and buckle fitting but 5 in a row with a wacky terminal and little knobs along the edges--some sort of bizarre apron strap, maybe?<br>
<br>
And there's a machete. No crap, straight out of Home Depot, a Castor-and-Pollux machete! Handle shaped identically to modern ones, 4 rivets for the grip (which is missing but I'm betting on Army Green plastic when it shows up!). Just about dropped my teeth... (Of course, it could be a plant by a disgruntled excavation volunteer!)<br>
<br>
Embossed and openwork scabbard parts, cavalry harness fittings out the wazoo. If you want LMS (uh, "Little Metal STUFF"), GET THIS BOOK. Order today from the David Brown Book Company, the US side of Oxbow Books, www.oxbowbooks.com/ .<br>
<br>
Happy reading! Valete,<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Vindonissa Catalog - by Matthew Amt - 01-21-2002, 03:33 AM
Re: Vindonissa Catalog - by mcbishop - 01-21-2002, 05:31 PM
Re: Vindonissa Catalog - by richard - 01-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Re: Vindonissa Catalog - by Jasper Oorthuys - 01-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Re: Vindonissa Catalog - by Anonymous - 01-22-2002, 12:48 AM
Re: Vindonissa Catalog - by mcbishop - 01-22-2002, 01:12 AM
Kalkriese parts - by Matthew Amt - 01-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Re: Kalkriese parts - by mcbishop - 01-23-2002, 01:16 AM
Plate edges - by Matthew Amt - 01-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Re: Plate edges - by mcbishop - 01-24-2002, 07:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…