Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Career Centurions
I wonder if somebody might be able to offer some help or suggestions in deciphering and interpreting a few inscriptions?

I’ve been looking at some of the career options open to centurions, both before and after the primipilate. Most of these follow an identifiable pattern, but there are some odd exceptions. The usual and well-known structure for able and ambitious centurions (almost exclusively, it seems, those who entered the centurionate directly, ex equite romano) would take them first to primus pilus, then to the three tribunates in Rome (vigils, urban and praetorian cohorts), then on to a second primipilate and perhaps a further appointment as procurator. This structure is usually seen as quite distinct from the alternative tres militiae hierarchy followed by equestrian officers: cohort prefect, then legion tribune, then cavalry prefect. The two strands meet only at the highest, procuratorial level.

However, there are a small group of inscriptions (CIL 09, 00798 / CIL 05, 00533 / CIL 03, 14387f2 / CIL 11, 00395 / CIL 10, 05583) that have the legion tribunate being held after the primipilate – a cross-over into the equestrian tres militiae. Of these, the three that can be dated (Papellius Clodius Quirinalis, L Antonius Naso and M Vettius Valens) seem to have held the tribunate under Nero – perhaps a curiosity of that reign?

In one case, though, there are further complications. What can be made of this one?

Quote:CIL 10, 05583
Cu]rtilius(?) C(ai) f(ilius) A<e=I>m(ilia) / [pr]im(us) pil(us) leg(ionis) VI praef(ectus) c(o)hortis / [3] tr(ibunus) mil(itum) praef(ectus) equit(um) praef(ectus) / [f]abr(um) IIvir q(uinquennalis) Aug(ustalis) funus / [p]ublice ex d(ecreto) d(ecurionum) Aquinatium / arbitratu / [A]nterotis et Cosmi libert(orum)

Curtilius has the equestrian tres militiae in the usual order, but was also primus pilus and praefectus fabrum at some point. I’m guessing this is quite early imperial (‘praefectus equitum’ rather than alae) – but did he really switch from being primus pilus to prefect cohort? I believe the current interpretation is that a cohort prefect and an ex equite romano centurion were essentially on a par as regards pay and prestige, so this would be a step backwards.

Other inscriptions seem to have this movement in the opposite direction:

Quote:CIL 02, 02424
L(ucio) Terentio / M(arci) f(ilio) Quir(ina) Rufo / praef(ecto) coh(ortis) VI Britto(num) / |(centurio) leg(ionis) I M(inerviae) P(iae) F(idelis) don(is) don(ato) ab / Imp(eratore) Traiano bell(o) Dac(ico) / p(rimo) p(ilo) leg(ionis) XV Apoll(inaris) / trib(uno) coh(ortis) II vig(ilum) / d(ecreto) d(ecurionum)

L Terentius Rufus begins as cohort praefect, then becomes centurion, then primus pilus, then goes on to be tribune of vigils. This is Trajanic too, so not an early principate irregularity. G Sulpicius Ursulus (ERAsturias 00022) also seems to start out as an auxiliary prefect (of Symmachiariorum Asturum) before moving to the legion centurionate and primipilate – he served in a Dacian war too, so not so early either.

Titus Pontius Sabinus (CIL 10, 05829, second century?) starts as cohort prefect, then moves on to legion tribune, before jumping back to serve two legion centurionates. He goes on to primus pilate and praepositus of vexillations in a British expedition, then the Rome tribunates and a procuratorship. Certainly an able officer – so why should he switch from tribune to centurion?

C Geminius Priscus is even more odd:

Quote:CIL 05, 06478
Mart(i) sacr(um) / nomine / C(ai) Gemini Prisci / praef(ecti) eq(uitum) alae Aug(ustae) / praef(ecti) coh(ortis) I Breu[c(orum)] / libero commeatu / praef(ecti) fabr(um) [tr(ibuni)] mil(itum) coh(ortis) II pr(aetoriae) / Piarus et / Martialis lib(erti) / d(e) s(uo) p(osuerunt)

It looks like he starts as a tribune in the praetorians, then becomes praefectus fabrum before switching to cohort prefect and cavalry commander. It would make more sense, maybe, if he held the praetorian tribunate after the auxiliary prefecture, instead of the normal military tribunate – but there’s no other evidence, I think, for praetorian tribunes coming from anywhere except the legion primipilares (*excepting Pompeius Longinus in Tacitus (Hist 31.3), who wasn't a military man at all: non ordine militiae sed e Galbae amicis.)

It’s usually implied that the legion and praetorian centurionate was quite distinct below the primipilate – the praetorian centurions having much higher pay, presumably, than those of the legions. In a few cases, though (CIL 02, 04461 / CIL 10, 01127 / CIL 11, 06057 / CIL 14, 02523), there is a crossover between legions and the guard, with men moving back and forth between regular centurionates and positions in the Rome cohorts (the trecenarius). Perhaps a period of command in the Rome cohorts offered a sort of ‘fast track’ for well-connected legion centurions to scale up towards the primipilate without having to move through all the positions within the legion?

So was there a similar, if rare, crossover between positions in the equestrian tres militiae and the ex equite centurionate/primipilate? And if so, is there any current consensus on the relative hierarchy involved?

Thanks - Nathan
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Some Career Centurions - by Nathan Ross - 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Re: Some Career Centurions - by D B Campbell - 05-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Re: Some Career Centurions - by Nathan Ross - 05-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Re: Some Career Centurions - by D B Campbell - 05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Re: Some Career Centurions - by Quintius Clavus - 05-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Re: Some Career Centurions - by Nathan Ross - 05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Re: Some Career Centurions - by Malko Linge - 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post