Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Quote:The antilabe would not have to have been moved to the shield's edge, only lengthened into a loop through which the forearm could pass. The porpax, though, would have jutted out and prevented the bearer from tucking into the curvature of the shield, and so it would then need to be removed.

Ah, I see now. You would turn the antilabe into a porpax essentially. It could work, in extremis, but that is a lot of shield hanging off to your left. There are problems with how the strap would hang to bear the shield's weight evenly. I think you really need to experiment with this, or enlist someone to, if you are going to advocate it in a more formal setting.

As to the need to remove the old porpax, it is beyond the elbow in the position you suggest, so I don't think it would be a problem. See below:
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by PMBardunias - 06-22-2010, 03:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,739 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,066 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,875 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite