Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Posthumous freeing of slaves
(08-09-2010, 07:37 AM)Epictetus Wrote: I came across something curious over the weekend:

Quote: Scissa was giving a very elegant novendial in memory of her poor old slave, whom she had enfranchised after his death. And I suppose she will have a good round sum to pay to the tax-collectors, for they do tell me the dead man's fortune came to fifty thousand.

Petronius, The Satyricon, 10., emphasis mine

Was there posthumous freeing of slaves? If so, why?

I suppose that this could be a way of honouring the deceased, as is hinted in the text, but I can't really think of any other reason to do so. If the posthumously-freed man had children, would they become free citizens?

I also guess that the ex-slave’s assets are still counted as owned by the lady Scissa, since Trimalcho says she will have to pay the taxes.
The 2% to 5% tax is the emancipation tax (Vicesima libertatis) the owner pays to the state.

I think your right, to be a citizen you had to be born free,so freeing a person after there death would make the slaves wife ofspring free at birth rather than a slave at birth and avoid macula servitutis.

Messages In This Thread
Posthumous freeing of slaves - by Epictetus - 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Re: Posthumous freeing of slaves - by Phaichtos - 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Re: Posthumous freeing of slaves - by Epictetus - 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Re: Posthumous freeing of slaves - by Phaichtos - 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
RE: Posthumous freeing of slaves - by Lothia - 06-11-2021, 11:23 PM
RE: Posthumous freeing of slaves - by Hanny - 09-16-2021, 04:32 PM