Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Fortifications in Spain - help
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here quickly. My girlfriend has suggested we should go away to Spain in November for a few days but wants to book it this weekend to get the cheap flights. The three options are Barcelona, Alicante and Malaga. I have been to Barcelona and visited Tarragona and Girona fom there, but have neve been to the other two areas. In the regions of Malaga and Alicante are there any visible traces of Roman walls, particularly those that would have lasted into late antiquity?

I have been through Kulikowski's book on Late Roman Spain but it only makes brief references to archaeological reports on the walls and their potential dating but doesn't say if there is much visible and it doesn't cover all sites (no complaints - that was not the purpose of the book). He says there are traces of Cartagena's walls known but not if they are accessible. I would like to photograph and video any surviving remains at any sites.

So is there anybody on this board who knows about or has visited these areas. I know its short notice but I was only informed last night. Ideally I should try and get Carmen Fernandez Ochoa's and Angel Morillo Cerdan's works before I go (does any body have access to any of these?).

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen
Stephen McCotter

Messages In This Thread
Late Roman Fortifications in Spain - help - by SMC - 10-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spain still Roman in 494 AD? Barbula 8 1,334 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  roman army fortifications pre-hadrians wall felixgallus 2 1,680 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Late Roman Fortifications in the Netherlands SMC2 15 4,109 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SMC2