Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for legionary vs auxiliary helmet patterns
Tim, just because pateras have been found along with iron helmets does not prove there was no recycling going on. Remember that helmets could also be passed down from one owner to the other being an expensive and important piece of equipment. The patera is not as vital nor do I think they were passed down.

Helmets could have been lost during battle and the ones that were brass taken for booty or made into something else of value. As per my previous post, if you know that brass (as an example) is actually valuable since coins were made from it, then why not use a brass helmet to purchase something. Maybe a more decorative helmet or a piece of armor.

The fact that there are so many more iron objects than copper alloy in terms of military items, at least to me, suggests that copper alloy items were 1) recylced into something else 2) were used as money 3)copper alloy objects are more expensive since the materials are more expensive (remember they are alloys that require melting metals together not like iron which is one thing) 4)Iron objects are generally stronger and not as soft when compared to copper alloy objects.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Evidence for legionary vs auxiliary helmet patterns - by Doc - 11-25-2010, 05:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who commanded a legionary or auxiliary cohort? LonginusXXI 2 3,157 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  A question about legionary helmet liuliuliu 2 1,243 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Last Post: liuliuliu
  Auxiliary Cavalry Helmet B 1 - Photoshopped Image Spurius Papirius Cursor 3 1,519 12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar