Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senatorial Battle Dress (3rd century)
Hello,

I have got some questions about the battle dress of Senators in the time between Severus Alexander and Gallienus. I find this last generation of Senators in (regular) military command highly fascinating, especially considering the staunch conservatism, which this group often displayed, must have met somehow with the great changes of the crisis.

So I wonder if this is reflected in their dress. I do not mean the armour, since I imagine helmets and breastplates would follow imperial example, i.e. primarily muscle cuirasses and (pseudo-)Attic helmets. Even the most conservative Senator could not object the tradition of this equipment.

But looking at the cloths, I am not so sure anymore. The Emperors usually were not of Senatorial birth anymore, rather progressive and leaning towards army fashion: the leggings, trousers and boots akin to those of the troops reported for Severus Alexander may not have been comfortable with Senators.
Also what about the tunics? Traditional tunicae laticlaviae would not really stand out compared to the military tunics which get ever more lavishly decorated.
So would a Senator in battle have preferred traditional or modern army clothing, or even mixed it? Or was there no such think like a ‘class preference’ and it was entirely up to individual choice – a rather odd thought in face of the great sense of cohesion the Senators always had.

A last question: the 3rd century sword baldrics are extremely distinctive; however I cannot remember having seen them on imperial busts and statues. Of course artistic conventions have to be considered, for if we only had the imperial artworks, we would not know about Severus Alexander’s trousers. Nonetheless I wonder if the broad baldrics were used by Emperors or Senators.

Hope you can help me,
Kai
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]

Messages In This Thread
Senatorial Battle Dress (3rd century) - by Kai - 11-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early 5th Century Naval Battle Flavivs Aetivs 5 2,197 03-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  Equestrians commanding men of the senatorial class Tony Riches 0 724 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Tony Riches
  1st century Roman elephants in battle Andrew Brozyna 2 1,716 07-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Andrew Brozyna