Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fabric Questions...
Salve,

I had some fabric questions concerning a few projects I'm intending on:

1) The last time I made a wool tunic and paneula, this is the site I went through, which I found off the Legion XX site - http://www.periodfabric.com/Wools.htm
While the Red WRM-204 worked out great for my tunic, the brown WGH-402 didn't work out well at all. Simply put, it was just too thin for anything but a light dust-cloak (I still made it anyway - I'll have to put up the pictures sometime...) Also, after a little more research, I discovered that the brown colour really isn't as correct as I'd like it to be for a Britain-based legionaire. Does anyone know of a better site in the U.S. that has...what I can only describe as "Cloak Weight" wool in an appropriate colour? I'd like to make another one, but I'd rather not have another failure.

2) On the subject of linen, I want to make a red summer tunic but have no idea what I need to look for in linen, other than making sure the bolt says '100% Linen' Rather than have to go through the onerous process of searching through various fabric sites, is there one that everyone goes to that would have what I need in stock? Is the stuff at my local Jo-Ann's fabrics good enough? Would this be the same quality that I would use to make a subarmalis such as the one on this site? http://www.paddedarmour.com/

3) Concerning the focale, I'm wanting to make one, but I noticed that there's some disagreement as to what the original shape is - Thoughts? Should I just get an extra yard of linen from project #2 and hand-stitch it? Should the colour match whichever tunic I'm making? While Legion XX says it isn't supposed to be pinned, I've noticed that almost every close-up I see in Brassey's 'Roman Army: Wars of the Empire' does show it as being pinned. Which is correct?

4) I know there's not much to go on judging from the traffic I've seen on the subject in the forums, but I'm dying to make a (pair?) of subligaculum. Has anyone actually made any? I know it seems like it would be ridiculously simple to make, but I don't even know what material I should make it out of - is natural-coloured, tunic-weight linnen good enough?

5) Where do I post pictures of completed projects? I've got a pair of calligae that I don't think turned out too badly for a first attempt.

Many thanks, and best regards!

-Quintus Claudius Britanicus,
Legionaire, LEGIIAVG
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.

Messages In This Thread
Fabric Questions... - by Quintus Claudius Scaevola - 02-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Matthew Amt - 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by M. Demetrius - 02-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Matthew Amt - 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Athena Areias - 02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Matthew Amt - 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Cheyenne - 02-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Magnus - 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Graham Sumner - 02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by Cheyenne - 02-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Re: Fabric Questions... - by M.VELIVS.AVITVS - 03-17-2011, 01:31 AM