Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arminius and the Cherusci
I was looking at a beautifully painted minature of Arminius on Thorsberg Minatures, and I was examining the clothing he was wearing. It was a very accurate mix of Germanic cloathing and Roman armour. Then I realized that he was light blonde, and I thought 'oh, how stereotypical'. But then I realized how appropriate it was. We have no idea what Arminius looked like, or even what his orginal Germanic name was. However, it is very likely that he was blonde, as his brother, Flavus, is described as being blonde. I've read the Flavus means 'blonde' in latin. If Flavus was blonde, Arminius could have been blonde as well. I've also heard a theory that Arminius's Germanic name was 'Erminaz' or some form of that name. 'Erminaz' is a word from the proto-Germanic language that means 'great' or 'tall'. This name could have easily been latinized to Arminius. Also, the root word 'Ermin' sounds awfully a lot like 'Hermann', which is what the German nationalists of the 19th century called him. Or is this just a coincidence? Another theory I had about him was that he had short hair in Rome, according to the Roman fashion, but grew it long again in Germania to appeal to his fellow tribesman. Also, his helmet. We often see romaticized paintings of him from the 19th cen. wearing the rediculous winged helmet. A more likely helmet for him to be wearing would be a Roman auxilaury's helmet, perhaps with the fur and feathers like the Batavian find at Krefeld? Or was this just a practice unique to the Batavians?
The Cherusci seem to be a rather unimporant tribe until the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, where they rose to enternal fame. I know that their tribal totem was the stag or deer, and that their name in Germanic was 'Heruskoz'. Linguists believe that the root word 'Heru' or 'Herut' means 'deer'. Others say that it means sword. However, 'herut' meaning 'deer' seems more likely, as their tribal totem was a deer. Some of you may have heard about the game 'Europa Barbarorum', a modification of Rome Total War (Rome Total War was a good idea, but form a historical perspective, executed extreamly poorly). This is what they say about the Cherusci. Remember, I don't know how accurate this is, but the game seems very accurate, so I will include it in this post. This is describing the Cherusci BEFORE the battle of the Teutoburg Forest.

{Sweboz_Heruskingaz} Heriskōm

{Sweboz_Heruskingaz_desc}
Heriskōm\\n(her-isk-OHM, "Of the Heriskōzez")\\nThis man is a member of the Heriskōzez (possibly “‘Sword-ish’ Ones,” more commonly known as the ‘Cherusci’), a tribe living between the German rivers Weser and Elbe. The Heriskōzez, who have the Deer/Stag as a tribe totem, are a numerous people, who are known for their honest dealings and diplomatic skill with other tribes. Their inactivity and slow response to the aggressive actions of others have however earned them a reputation for laziness. Whilst some believe this, others less naive, know that they are gathering their forces in order to one day rise up as a mighty power and rally leadership of the Germanic tribes away from the Swēbōzez. Nevertheless this cunning man will be a good addition to our ranks as war-leader and administrator, but should be watched carefully.

This is the 'unit information' on the Cherusci Swordsmen in the game:

{germanic_infantry_cheruscii_swordsmen} Druhtiz Heriskā (Cherusci Swordsmen)

{germanic_infantry_cheruscii_swordsmen_descr}
Impetuous\\nExpert at Hiding in Woods\\n\\nDruhtiz Heriskā\\n(DRUHT-iz HER-isk-aa, “Cherusci Warband”)\\n\\nThe Druhtiz Heriskā are fierce and hardy Cherusci warriors who can form a very dense formation and are exceptional in defense. Many of their people possess swords from trade and warfare against their West Celt neighbors and are rightly feared for their ability in melee combat and skirmishing.\\n\\nHistorically, the Heriskōzez, whose name can mean “Sword-ish Ones” in their own language, were a Germanic tribe who inhabited the Rhine valley and the plains and forests of northwestern Germania. They were frequently at odds or allied with the Romans, as their individual political situation warranted, and made most famous by the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, whence an army of allied Germanic tribes under the Cherusci war-leader Ermenoz ("Tall" or "Great" One, more commonly known in Latin as Arminius) who annihilated three Roman legions commanded by Publius Quinctilius Varus.\\n\\nThis crushing Roman defeat stopped Rome's advance and compelled the empire, after a few more years of generally indecisive campaigning by Germanicus, to withdraw permanently behind the Limes fortification which was built as a consequence of the loss at Teutoburg Forest, to reinforce the German frontier.

I have alot more Germanic info from the game, but the setting of the game is 3 cen. BC to 1st cen. AD, so it does cover a large time span, in which lots of changes took place.

Here is the official website of Europa Barbarorum:
http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Other reenactors have told me not to use this as hard evidence, but I'm putting it out here anyway to see what you all think of it.
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE

Messages In This Thread
Arminius and the Cherusci - by Harjaz - 02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by arminius - 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by Harjaz - 02-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by arminius - 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by Harjaz - 02-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by Ron Andrea - 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by Harjaz - 02-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by arminius - 02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by Harjaz - 02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Re: Arminius and the Cherusci - by ghandi - 02-17-2011, 12:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arminius and his motivations to fight the Romans Shield And Spear Art 0 1,019 06-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Shield And Spear Art
  Cherusci History? jbd_29349 20 7,487 11-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Chatti and Cherusci tribes Amalric 1 2,259 03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Last Post: authun