Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian Equipment Belt & Attachments
Ancient depictions of how the akinakes (or sword) was actually worn are nebulous. Reliefs and funery-stones usually show a "simplified" mode, like a single strap wrapped around the leg close to the knee:
[attachment=515]akinakesequipmentbelt002.JPG[/attachment]

Surprisingly, modern artists like Angus McBride and Christa Hook aren't much help either. They avoid where the straps are with diligent consistancy. First I tried carrying the akinakes from an inch-wide strap affixed to my belt, two sets of ties around my leg as in the painting of the Sarmatian woman-warrior. It was uncomfortable to my gonads!

Then I tried running the two top straps right up to belt. Comfortable, secure, and easy to withdraw the akinakes. If you're thinking of a similar kit, this works perfect. Here are the various components: belt, combo stiffeners and attachers, holster, and ties.
[attachment=516]akinakesequipmentbelt005.JPG[/attachment]

My friend Tigger made the belt, Raymond's Quiet Press made the buckle and stiffeners, and I added the jade stones and put it together:
[attachment=517]akinakesequipmentbelt004.JPG[/attachment]

The last part was the hardest-- how was a sword carried when using the eastern scabbard slide?:roll: Every available picture, both ancient and modern, showed an auxilliary belt passing through the slide at an angle. The sword, if worn in this fashion, would flop around like crazy, maybe injuring you, your horse, or a close friend. So, I discovered a doubled pass-through of the strap allowed precise adjustment. The sword hugs to me as if it were part of my body, and it's not in the way, even when using my bow. Here's a pic:
[attachment=518]akinakesequipmentbelt006.JPG[/attachment]

Nothing is ever perfect. The belt furnishings are actually Mongolian, because as-of-yet nobody is making Sarmatian/Alanic fittings. Maybe someone will eventually.:-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatian Equipment Belt & Attachments - by Alanus - 03-30-2011, 02:45 AM