Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dura shields were parade shields?
Ave,

This is my first post but I have been scrounging for info here for a couple of weeks. And let me say that you guys have amassed an incredible amount of info here.

My main area of interest is the withdrawal of Rome from Britain. Primarily lately I have been combing over the threads concerning oval vs. circle and flat vs. curved vs. domed/dished.

That being the case one thing that struck me as odd were the thickness of the Dura shield finds. "Average is 1.05m high by 0.9m wide. Board thickness at centre under the boss was 9mm, tapering down to 3-5mm at the edges." Seems mighty thin for a front line shield. I have shot arrows at plenty of plywood targets and less than a 1/4 inch at the edges isn't going to stop much. I have not taken a period sword to 1/4 inch ply but a blunt object (hammer/baseball bat) seems to cause massive damage. I know that the leather facing would help somewhat but still.

Is it possible that the Dura finds were simply parade shields. When you consider the level of art work on the one that seems more likely. If they were combat shields we could expect to see some patch work painting at least and if they were completely serviceable shields I do not see the Romans or the army they faced leaving them behind.

Well, any thoughts are welcome.
James M.

"Ah, yes, mere infantry — poor beggars…" Plautus

Messages In This Thread
Dura shields were parade shields? - by James M. - 10-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Scutum Shields mrmovieprop 6 1,693 09-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Shields Ayesha 1 1,028 04-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Any tips on painting shields? [Legio_VIII]_Caesar_Libo 1 953 04-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat