Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression
Quote:I also feel that I have to say that I greatly prefer the green fields and find it a little unlikely that Roman soldiers would have carried black shields, although as always I would be very happy to be proved wrong.

As you well know, there is no proof as yet. But, consider that many of the auxiliary shields include astrological symbols, like stars, moons etc. To me this suggests a blue or black shield. I've just returned from Pompeii and black was used extensively as a backing colour, and according to Graham Sumner was often used as a background to green foliage. Since many auxiliary emblems feature astrological symbols and wreaths, I'd go as far as to suggest that many auxiliary shields were in-fact, dark blue or black ...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - by Mithras - 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Auxiliary shield colours and designs - by Caballo - 10-05-2011, 03:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Roman soldier impression TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 3,905 1,265,825 04-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Tadius Danartus 14 6,651 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar