Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a correct Chigi Vase aspis
@ Daniel--As long as the rim is truly stiff--that is, solid, and won't warp under heavy pressure--go for it.

@ Eric--I want to be both humble and careful. Perhaps, is the best I'll say. For example, it may well be that a Persian Wars aspis is this same construction method with thick leather covering the WHOLE inside. Or not..... I've built a boat hull Boeotian and now a Chigi Vase. My next project will be to build a 500BC aspis that is bronze faced but backed by the structure in mine--but laid in in a pattern that will, I hope, make sense of the bronze shield fittings from Olympia and elsewhere--the interior fittings. I need to contract parts of this shield to different makers--to Manning Imperial and to my carpenter friend. But I'll write it up as I complete it. I also have to do more research. This is pretty dark territory, friends. It's hard to say that I KNOW anything.

one of the hardest parts of making any of these items is, quite simply, to remember that these things were built by craftsmen. Home building complex stuff always results in errors of weight, over-building, etc. So I've learned to farm out the really complex parts to people who understand EXACTLY how to make the parts they make. Nothing in the past was crude. It's our efforts to reproduce them that are often crude.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.

Messages In This Thread
Building a correct Chigi Vase aspis - by Kineas - 10-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Re: Building a correct Chigi Vase aspis - by Eric - 10-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Re: Building a correct Chigi Vase aspis - by Kineas - 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM