Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The second most important city in Italy ?
Wow, Caecilius!

That's a very thorough answer :grin:

It sure helps to know that Capua was going through a transition during Cicero's life. Strange to think that even as Capua was being dismembered it still probably was the most valued city in the peninsula until the very end of the Republic.

Your list is very helpful. I forgot about Aquileia. Even though it wouldn't have been technically considered to be part of Italy it was certainly seen as a major 'gateway' into the peninsula.

I've come up with additional candidates who could be among the first to supplant Capua as the most valued city in Italy.

1. Misenum: A western coastal city which was developed into a major naval base during the early empire. It was where Nero raised a new legion, Adiutrix I, from the marines stationed there.
  2. Ravenna: Another major naval base on the eastern coast but was probably considered outside of Italy.
  3. Brundusium: A large, Greek-speaking city which was also an important trading port and the main point of sailing to the east. (located on the 'heal' of Italy)

During the reign of Augustus many of the Praetorian cohorts were billeted in certain towns outside of Rome. Knowing which towns had a Praetorian cohort might give further clues to other candidates.

Thanks, everyone, for your answers!

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
The second most important city in Italy ? - by Theodosius the Great - 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM