Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angon and Francisca finds 3rd Century
In her book on the Katzenberg at Mayen (Die Befestigung auf dem Katzenberg bei Mayen und die spätrömischen Höhen-Befestigungen in Nordgallien = The Katzenberg fortification near Mayen and the late roman hilltop-forts in northern Gallia)Angelica Hunold list an axe
on page 153 referring (>note 366) to a paper of H.W. Böhme from 1974 where he classifies such axes as "in use from the third century to the middle-third of the 5th century AD".
(> H.W. Böhme, Germanische Grabfunde des 4. bis 5. Jahrhunderts zwischen unterer Elbe und Loire -- Münchner Beiträge zur Vor- und Frühgeschichte 19 -- München 1974 =
Finds from germanic burials from the 4th to the 5th century AD between lower Elbe and Loire)
I don't have that one but I thought this might be bring you further.
Judging from several citations you might also find that one useful:
Steuer/Bierbrauer: Höhensiedlungen zwischen Antike und Mittelalter von den Ardennen bis zur Adria,(Hilltop-forts from Antiquity to the Middle Ages between Ardennes and Adria) Reallexikon Germanischer Altertumskunde, Ergänzungsband/Supplementary 58, Berlin/New York 2008 .
I don't have this either.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Angon and Francisca finds 3rd Century - by Simplex - 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Correct hafting for a francisca throwing axe? C. Gadda 23 5,762 07-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Last Post: AlexV
  4th and 3rd Century BC La Tene Finds in France Vindex 0 949 04-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Vindex