Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continental Celtic warrior 50BC-1st century AD
Clothing is a really difficult thing. I agree with a tunic like the Vacheres statue. It looks similar to the thorsberg tunic but i won`t do it completly like it. The tunic of the statue looks like wrapped around under the end of the chainmal, so maybe the tunic is wider and dagged/slitted in the middle.
The trousers are a bigger problem. I won`t use the horsberg trousers. Better you look for a wider bracae like the vacheres warrior wearing. But be carefull with pattern. Maybe a panama weaving for late latene (there are some finds)

Helmet: Helmets are not common also in rich graves. If you are looking at south west germany near the belgium border you can take a mannheim coolus. This type of helmet was found in celtic graves in your time frame (there was a topic here in this forum with some good articles).

Sword: Type Ludwigshafen or maybe a simpler iron late latene type.

Footwear: there is not much evidence for celtic shoes of the late latene period. But theres is a shoe pendant from wederath in south west germany. This shoe seems to be closed and a bit like a roman calceus.

Belt: If you wear a sword take the belt construction which was suggested by andre rapin.

For Belgium maybe you take a look at the works of Anne Cahen-Delhaye.

If you need pictures or titles of books for further reading contact me per PM.

Regards Patrick

Messages In This Thread
Re: Continental Celtic warrior 50BC-1st century AD - by Patrick M - 05-10-2012, 11:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Continental Saxon helmets Batavian 6 2,241 03-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Show here your Celtic warrior impression Chuck Russell 204 182,766 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ancientbattles
  6th century warrior grave goods Dave G 2 2,219 07-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Caballo