Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continental Celtic warrior 50BC-1st century AD
Ligus: great text! Most of item and articles i know, but you collected them very well together!
I just wann't to remember on the point of the geographical area of this topic question (Nord-West regions)and if you look on the linked items (articles) here: there are detailed differences of the celtic items between 50 BC to the Augusteian time; but after Augustus (the end of Lt D2 - ab. our time beginning) i don't know any continental celtic items more.
My tunic is woven in panama style - i linked it here on RAT. BUT the panama is rare for this time periode; most of the textiles of this time are in tabby, than some of them are in twill 2/2 too, panama is very rare. It goes card-woven belts and ornaments on the tunica, too. About the throusers: there are evidented slim throusers of the gallic warriors - the wide variante is good only for the cavalery but not for the normal warriors. The typical gallic throusers are slimm, very slimm like Thorsberg throusers and i have evidence for the striped patterns and chechered paterns of them, both of them.
The tunic are 1. normal variante 2. wide gallic variante in the form of the gallic coat or gallic tunic - in this point they are simillar to the roman tunic but they have sleeves (the roman tunic of this time have sleeves, too, but they are rare evidented - i know the Martihal's epigrams and he wrote about tripple-weaving Patavian's tunic from Patavian region they were with longs sleeves and very warm, made by "gausapina" textile-style that means:1. felted 2. heavy wool 3.hairy wool.
Leg bindings:
could be an interpretation of the style of some gallic statues - they have checkeered patterns on their throusers.
But in your focus time they aren't evidence for leg bindings in the way of later galloć-roman variante.
Of course, we forged the cucullus and the paenula garment. Booth of them are evidented in your focus time. But in the same time you can wear the lacerna and the sagum, too.

My sword scabbard of the Lt D1/D2 is for sale and it is evidented in the Nord-West regions of the continental Europe.
It goes not for my native Slovenian impression because of the scabbard form because of the end of it. BUT: i saw this type of scabbard on the exhibition in Völklingen and i have foto of this item (made incognito!!) and it look like my scabbard! And this year on february, on my first Slovenian's museums presentation in museum Tolmin, the dr. Andrej Gaspari says to me, that exactly this type of the scabard is evidented for the Nord-West lands of the continental Europe.
So, it is for sale!
You should to order the sword but i can give you details for it, tha it will be good together with the scabard. The sword is 103,5 cm long.

I will get new sword (maded of the old one) and a new scabard with details exactly good for my Slovenian area.

For the clothes of this time there are some figures and statues.

Joze
I like LH

Messages In This Thread
Re: Continental Celtic warrior 50BC-1st century AD - by Joze - 05-18-2012, 12:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Continental Saxon helmets Batavian 6 2,239 03-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Show here your Celtic warrior impression Chuck Russell 204 182,484 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ancientbattles
  6th century warrior grave goods Dave G 2 2,218 07-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Caballo