Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrian\'s \"Ektaxis kat\' Alanon\" transl issue
This night I scrutinized Arrian's "Ektaxis kat'Alanon", the source of many an issue translationwise... I came up with two issues. The first being the following :

1. καὶ λόγχας οἱ λογχοφόροι ἀκοντιζέτωσαν οἵ τε ψιλοὶ καὶ οἱ †θειασταί. (25.5.)

For some reason, the word "θειασταί" (I had 2 translations at hand, one to modern Greek in hard copy the other to English from the net, probably the one most have read, one that I looked up when I was not content with A. Pantelakes' interpretations) seems to be translated as "heavy" or "shielded" or something like that. I also read somewhere on the net (of course not the best resource) that there is a reading of this word as "thureophoroi". The original is corrupt here, so any word would be a guess and I cannot voice an opinion not having a scan of the original manuscripts but all three ancient Greek texts I have (2 from TLG) all have the word "theiastae" in this position. Now if this word means anything, it surely has nothing to do with armor or shield. From other texts I looked up it seems to mean "those who enthusiastically shout/exclaim" although for some reason LSJ only translates it as "worshiper" which is not that different but still.

The next issue is :

2. εἰ δὲ ἐπιστραφέντες ἐς κύκλους ὑπὲρ τὰ κέρατα παρελαύνειν ἐθέλοιεν, ἀνατείνεσθαι μὲν <ἐς> τὰ ὑπερδεξιώτερα ἔτι τὰ κέρατα αὐτῆς τῆς ψιλῆς τοξείας· ὡς οὐ δοκιμάζω μήποτε ἀσθενῆ τῇ ἀνατάσει τὰ κέρατα γινόμενα ἰδόντες δι’ αὐτῶν ὤσαιντο καὶ διακόψαιεν τὸ πεζικόν. (30.3)

Now, this is translated (in the translations that I have) as an order of Arrian to the light archers to extend onto the higher ground whereas I read the exact opposite. The thing here is the "ano teleia (·)". If it really is there, then this order really is so and the rest of the instruction is strange to outright bull. If not, then the whole thing makes sense...

"Now, if, by wheeling about in circles, they decide to ride about the wings, extending (this is by others translated as "should extend") the light archers to yet higher ground of the wings. I do not approve, lest with the extending the wings become weak and upon their seeing it they force through them and cut down the infantry."

This is an almost word by word translation that makes the dilemma obvious. Take out the full-stop and you have a coherent text, Arrian NOT approving the extending of the wings because... Leave it there and the translation becomes problematic.

(edit) I added the first part of the sentence in the second issue,so that you have a more complete picture.

What do your translations say? If you know ancient Greek, what is your opinion?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Arrian\'s \"Ektaxis kat\' Alanon\" transl issue - by Macedon - 08-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,926 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite