Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour
Hi all, attached are images (my own) of the famed Euboean Lefkandi Centaur, dated 925-875 BC, hence in the ancient Greek 'Dark Ages'. I'm more at home with myth, arts, and general history, and would love some input on the centaur's armour.

This much I have gleaned:

* The right sword arm is armoured with what I interpret as fine metal plating.
* The left shield arm is naked (the artist employs a solid red to indicate nakedness).
* The chest (only the front of the torso, the back is naked) is protected by some kind of organic armour (Protogeometric crosshatching rarely, if ever, renders metal - it is usually used to suggest fibre, textile, leather etc.)
* The crescent shaped groin guard would seem to be a mitra - the horizontal lines indicating some flexing mechanism between plates.

Considering its early date, how would you comment on this piece? Are there any parallels to this type of armour, in Greece, or elsewhere around the Mediterranean, at the time - at the onset of the 1st Millennium BC?

Indications are strong the artist was informed by an existing armour - practical or ceremonial - because he does not employ a standard repertoire of Protogeometric shapes in his rendering of the garment (except the generic crosshatching on the chest).

[attachment=4988]lkx3forumpic_opt.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by h.k.linderot - 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Dan Howard - 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet/ armour database Paullus Scipio 161 139,963 12-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Adventurous Artisan
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,883 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,643 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale