Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C4th embroidered silk panels
Dave,<br>
I have found some fairly convincing ones, in both silk and wool on old church vestments in flea markets in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany. Some of these garments are very traditional and date to late Roman times.<br>
<br>
Also, if you are ever in Rome, go to the Vatican area and check out the shop where all of the catholic hierarchy buy their vestments. You can buy some of the trims by the meter. Many are too late in style, Romanesque, Medieval and Baroque but some would pass for late Roman. These are silk or cotton backed, with silk, or metallic threads. They would only be good for high ranking civilian and military officials. They also sell embroidered silk cloth by the meter some in very old patterns. One style that looked very interesting was silk and came in several base colors, but with woven in metallic overlapping style, reptilian-like 'scales'. This would be fantastic for a draco, and I would have bought some, except it had to be special ordered from the factory, and it was a minimum of 25 meters I think.<br>
I can't imagine a priest wearing a garment made out of this dragonish looking material, but there it was in the Vatican. (Maybe there is some truth to that Satanic rites in Rome stuff that the Fundamentalist Christians warn about). <br>
Dan<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
C4th embroidered silk panels - by Anonymous - 02-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Re: C4th embroidered silk panels - by Anonymous - 02-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Re: C4th embroidered silk panels - by Anonymous - 02-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Re: C4th embroidered silk panels - by Daniel S Peterson - 02-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Re: C4th embroidered silk panels - by Anonymous - 02-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Re: Draco Material - by Daniel S Peterson - 02-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Re: Draco Material - by TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 02-09-2004, 11:48 AM