Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My latest tunic reconstruction: results and conclusions!
I went by the information which was available to me through Graham's book basing the reconstruction on this as an experiment as this is the only extant description of a military tunic.<br>
<br>
If you read my conclusions you will see that I am NOT in disagreement with any of you on this regarding the excessive size of the garment. This is why I ultimately altered it to make it wearable. the finished product does not resemble the initail experiment.<br>
<br>
I think the congruence between the dimensions as I interpret them (i.e. as layed out flat) and the total weight of the garment indicates that this method was probably correct. To make it smaller as you suggest while retaing the same weight value would necesitate the use of exceedingly thick fabric. I can tell you that what I used would make excellent blanket.<br>
<br>
I think a few points may be valid here. As I understand it this papyrus describes only one tunic. There is no evidence that it was ever worn. Nor is there evidence to support that the garment represents the norm in military wear. It may be an<br>
anomally.<br>
<br>
As for the "T" style tunic. My understanding is that this was a<br>
late innovation. To my knowledge the Republican and Early Imperial tunicae were sleevless.<br>
<br>
At any rate, I was in the process of making a new tunic and thought it would be interesting to try replicating the one in question as a starting point. If the result was not to my liking there would be no question that it would contain ample fabric to make one which was.<br>
<br>
I consider the experience productive. Although the resulting article was, in my opinion, unusable I did learn more than I thought I would by trying it.<br>
<br>
More later.<br>
<br>
Sam<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
My latest tunic reconstruction: results and conclusions! - by Anonymous - 02-12-2004, 06:41 AM
A post script - by Anonymous - 02-13-2004, 10:24 PM
tunics - by derek forrest - 02-17-2004, 01:15 PM
tunics - by Anonymous - 02-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Re: tunics - by Anonymous - 02-19-2004, 01:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Segmentata - Dating from Spanish find results Paul Elliott 3 1,733 10-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  The Deepeeka stone grinder. Update and results of first try. Titus Petronicus Graccus 13 3,895 08-01-2008, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Magnus