Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Interesting Thought...
I would agree with most of your points but I would not go so far and take the looks of a fighter into the equation.
In Iconography the depictions of Retiarii are neither better nor worse than those of other Armatura depicted without helmets.
Also your Chart does not take account of other common Armaturae, like the Provocator, Essedarius, Arbelas and Eques.

There is a school of thought proposed by Eric Teyssier in France that proposes an advancement track of Gladiators:
They propose that all start out as Provocatores, then either advance to Scutarii or Parmularii and progress to Secutor or Retiarius respectively at the height of their advancement.
I do not agree with this view, as it ignores Armaturae like the Essedarii or Eques and also Iconography can be used to dispute this, but it does make a lot sense from a Trainers point of view.
Provocatores are a perfect Armatura to practise the handling of a weapon and shield combination useful for all Scutarii as well as Parmularii.
Even the Retiarius benefits by fighting in this Armatura first, as he learns the capabilities of his later opponent in this Armatura.
The basic training of all new recruits might have been conducted in this Armatura, which also mirrors the typical Legionary fighting style. The Pectoral would also provide a measure of protection in early sparring fights.
I agree that by such a basic training the Lannista and Doctores would judge the fighting character and skills of a recruit and would assign the final Armatura based on this.
One might also assume that Auctorati might have had some say concerning thier choice of Armaturae.
Obviously "market demand" will also have dictated the assigned Armaturae as well as the availability of the corresponding opponents for training and arena fights.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany

Messages In This Thread
An Interesting Thought... - by Thorsten - 11-12-2012, 09:17 PM
An Interesting Thought... - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 11-13-2012, 12:52 AM
An Interesting Thought... - by Thorsten - 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM
An Interesting Thought... - by Marc Byrne - 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
An Interesting Thought... - by Robert - 11-14-2012, 04:19 AM
An Interesting Thought... - by Thorsten - 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM
An Interesting Thought... - by Olaf - 11-14-2012, 06:14 PM
An Interesting Thought... - by Thorsten - 11-15-2012, 01:11 PM
An Interesting Thought... - by Olaf - 11-15-2012, 06:42 PM
An Interesting Thought... - by john m roberts - 11-16-2012, 02:58 AM