Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BRASSO is my FRIEND? What other things do use?
Hello all...

I am still working on putting together my first Roman 1st Century Optio Impression. Because of a limited budget I have taken the route of searching the world for "Used" or semi broken but fixable equipment.

I have purchased my share of (Buyer beware... "I'd laugh you off our field" inferior... no where close to historically accurate junk) because I didn't know any better. I was stuck in the Hollywood glamor of the idea of Roman Armor and purchased things blindly.

For the things that I purchased that will work... I have started to access what it will take to make them look great! I want my Impression to be as clean, fresh, and new looking as possible. (I don't have a Centurion looking over my shoulder to tell me what to do or how to do it.)

I purchased a Concentric Circle Balteus on Ebay from a private party who was giving up reenacting. (Pictures Below) When I got it, I got extremely upset about it because of it's condition. I tried to contact the company that distributes it and ask them if the plates were bronze and brass plated... or if they were solid brass. (I was very frustrated because, this was the first major piece of my "Kit."

I confess that I have never seen a Roman Reenactor... I have never seen (other then pictures) any Roman Equipment. So, maybe you can imagine or appreciate my "First" experience of Tracking a United Parcel Service Package... Waiting for it to arrive at my door... and opening the box to find my new "Buy" and the disappointment I felt when I saw it was so poorly taken care of.

Well to make a long story even longer... I never heard from the distributer as to what the plates were made of. They appeared to be made of Bronze and then Brass plated with the Brass Plating flaking off. I started to clean it up last night with Brasso... Because I am told.. "BRASSO IS MY FRIEND."

Well I did find out that the Plates are Solid cast Brass with Copper Rivets. Smile

So here is my question... Knowing that "Brasso is my friend..." what do you do... and what do you use to get into the nooks and the crannies and the tight places to get things cleaned up and shining? Do you use anything other then Brasso for a tarnish remover?

I tried a soft bristle toothbrush to get around the rivets... which seemed to work ok. But what do you use when working with your "Kit"? Has anyone ever used a jeweler's rouge and a polishing wheel?

Second Question... What do you use on your Lorica Segmentata to clean it up? I purchased one that I know will not fit me but I wanted it to be about to use and dress students in. I got a good deal on it but is is pretty tarnished and has a light haze of rust. What do you use?

And finally... I heard that if you have a Brass Helmet that after you are done cleaning it that is is a good idea to use Automobile Wax on it to give it a layer of protection... WHat are your thoughts on that?

Below are a few pictures of the Balteus as it was when I got it on Ebay. I will post pictures of it when I have it cleaned up totally and when I dye and Neats Foot Oil the leather.

Thank you for your input.
Patrick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
BRASSO is my FRIEND? What other things do use? - by Patrick - 11-21-2012, 04:09 AM