Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How and why did peltasts use shields?
Hi guys, ok so my question is in the title but it probably needs a little explaining. So my understanding is that the peltasts job was to run ahead of the heavier hoplites, throw as many javelins as he could carry, and then run to safety before the enemy could reach him. Now if this is correct, and peltasts were solely used to exchange missiles with the enemy, while avoiding hand to hand combat, then why did they use shields?

At first the answer might seem obvious, they used there shields to defend against the incoming javelins, thrown by the enemy, but my question is how and why was this done? Javelins, unlike arrows, travel relatively slowly through the air, also their size makes them much easier to see. This means that, with room to move, a javelin can be dodged, or with enough skill and training, even caught. OTOH if you try to use a shield to block a javelin, it will most likely get stuck and render your shield useless after a single hit. A solution to this problem might be that peltasts tried to deflect or parry an incoming javelin with his shield, but I've never heard of anyone ever trying, so I can't say how effective a tactic it would be.

As usual I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions the rest of you guys have have to offer.

Messages In This Thread
How and why did peltasts use shields? - by StephenCurtin - 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
How and why did peltasts use shields? - by Olaf - 02-11-2013, 04:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About light troops psiloi & peltasts hoplite14gr 0 1,336 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Peltasts and armor Danielmeijers 2 1,286 07-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  Peltasts and chariots at Cunaxa Sean Manning 26 5,431 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Last Post: koechlyruestow