Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf
Hi, do you mean the tools the Roman blacksmith would have used? There is an article on Roman smithing in this coming edition of Ancient Warfare (by me)!
The tools the blacksmith used are very similar to those still in use today, the main difference is the anvil, which was much smaller and consisted of TWO different anvils, a horned T shaped one with a hole in it to make nails and the blockanvil. We used a charcoal fire to make the pilum, but for lack of a slave I used an electric fan, but for demo's I use the traditional Roman dubble bellows, which get the charcoal fire hot enough to do serious forging. For making the pilum, a larger (Medieval) block anvil was used, but the smaller Roman one would have worked as well. However, as the Roman blacksmith appears working seated on all the iconographic depictions, I thought to teach Edu standing, as that does give beter control and more powerfull hitting to the novice blacksmith.
Curles http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/285.htm describes the blacksmith hoard found at Newstead, all tools are immediatly recognisable. I think you will find this of interest!!

On the kitchen knife, this requires a different way of handling, as it is a draw knife, the knife it pulled towards you to cut the sausage or the meat. The curve in the blade allows the sharp to remain in contact with the item cut throughout the entire motion, so the meat or sausage is cut at a single stroke. Edu was totaly surprised at the mechanics of it, works really well, but curved blades like this are more difficult to make, which is why it may have dropped from fashion in later days. On a larger round revolving grindstone, however, it is very easy to get them razor sharp. Original is from Augsburg, Germany, dated 16 AD.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf - by Robert - 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pilum buttspike Lanny Hill 3 1,603 05-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Robert
  Socketed pilum Pericles of Rhodes 3 1,432 01-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
Thumbs Up Mark Morrow Pilum Adriangunn 4 2,030 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Creon01