Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book: Reconstructing Ancient linen Body Armor
8 August 2013

Had a chance to sit at the cafe at Barnes and Noble and glance through the book myself. I told some in the Tucson, AZ Society of the Creative Anacronisim that do the Greek era about the book. I was impressed with the amount of detail in the book. The staff who wrote it tried arrow head, lance heads and other items against the armor they claim it is superior to that of linen covered leather armor it has a "fiber glass" quality.

Another poster on a different topic, from an Italian based reenactment unit also theorizes that the Roman subarmalis (padded jacket under-armor) with petrugis the wide belt like "fringe" that hangs over the shoulders and the kilt like fringe that hangs from the armor may in theory have been constructed by layers of linen and hyde glue creating a dense possibly "protective" glancing surface. This is conjecture but he believes like I do that the Roman subarmalis , petrugis "fringe arm and kilt defenses" was very much like the linen hyde glue laminated Lino-thorax mentioned in the book that is our opinon.

Again it is conjecture. Check with your reenactment group before you attempt to make this labor intensive Roman subarmalis with petrugis they may not agree.

Geoffrey Ives

Messages In This Thread
New Book: Reconstructing Ancient linen Body Armor - by Geoffrey Ives - 08-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Protecting the Body in War and Combat. Metal Body Armour in Bronze Age Europe Gunthamund Hasding 1 1,575 11-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Feinman