Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making and wearing a Paludamentum - please help
Ok - I'm definitely going to make an elongated half-round paludamentum. Just need a little more help....

Could anyone please help me and clarify a bit about exactly how the half-round paludamentum is folded and worn when secured to just the left shoulder alone? I assume that the elongated half-circle design has the rounded edge along the longest dimension? However, as I re-read Graham's posts - it sounds like perhaps the corners were cut off or rounded on the shorter dimension - so the one of the shorter sides is rounded and two long edges are both straight? This seems hard to imagine.

Brandon - I'd really love to get a better understanding of exactly the shape and dimensions of your paludamentum, and exactly how you fold it and wear it when pinned on your left shoulder. That's exactly how I'll wear mine most of the time. I'm picturing that perhaps yours is cut so one of the long edge is rounded, with the other long edge straight... and I'd imagine you basically fold it in half lengthwise - and then gather it together near the folded point on the long straight edge, attaching that to your left shoulder. Is that correct? I can see how in that case, the rounded, long edge would be facing out - away from your left shoulder, and I can see how it makes sense to fold it in an accordion shape with pleats when you gather it together to pin onto your shoulder. I like this design - half circle; it seems like it will work nicely for wearing it in the traditional paludamentum style pinned on the left shoulder, as well as wearing it like a sagum - worn over left shoulder but pinned onto the right shoulder. HOWEVER - I'm wondering if this elongated half-circle design would make it impractical to wear it centered in the back and pinned to both shoulders. What do you think? I do understand that there are perhaps different shaped cloaks, designed for wearing them in different ways, so it might be unrealistic to expect one cloak design to be wearable in all these various ways. From what I've read about the Roman Mantium - I'd like to be able to sometimes wear my cloak like this - centered in the back and secured with a single brooch in the middle of the front of my neck; is that possible with a half-circle shaped paludamentum cloak? I'd think that would be fine - if the long, straight edge is positioned horizontally and at the top, behind my neck (and secured around the front of my neck), with the rounded, long edge facing down towards the ground behind me - yes? I'm just not understanding whether the rounded edge is the LONGEST dimension (as in that half-octagon pattern I posted), or the short dimension of the cloak.
Sorry for all the questions and confusion, and thanks again very much for your help.

Adam

Messages In This Thread
Making and wearing a Paludamentum - please help - by Adam - 09-15-2013, 06:58 AM