Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seleucid cataphract
The Seleucid cataphract's legs in this picture are protected by (an advanced form of ) a Persian armed saddle or Parapleuridia. It's a pitty the armed saddle isn't totally visible, but it is accepted that it had a very stiff (wooden) construction covered with metal scales.
A while ago I had the oppurtunity to see the saddle and chaps of an Argentinian Gaucho. I always thought that it were 2 chaps and that they were attached to the rider's legs, but I was surprised to see that they are made of one piece and are attached to the saddle. Even if the rider isn't on the horse, it stays attached to the saddle. The piece is attached to the saddle by means of a very stiff felt frontal piece (as high as the rider's belly). The actual chaps are made of more flexible felt and are tied to the girdle of the rider.
In my opinion the Seleucid's armed saddle was constructed in this way (felt construction covered with iron scales) rather than it had a wooden construction. It certainly would have been much easier for the rider to get on the horse and not so clumsy in battle.
This said, I have a few questions.
As I would like to convert a figure in such a cataphract, I would like to know if these men wore trousers or if they rode the horse barelegged? I have to know this as the back part of the legs will be partly visible. Is it possible that they wore armed boots as the man in front of the cataphract does?
Did the laminated arm protectors form a full circle as can be seen in the drawing or where they more constructed in the way as the Parthian arm protectors which can be seen on the other drawing? I myself tend to go for the Parthian arm protectors.
Hope you can help me with this.
Thanks
Etruschi

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Philip van Geystelen

Messages In This Thread
Seleucid cataphract - by etruschi - 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Seleucid cataphract - by etruschi - 12-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Seleucid cataphract - by Flavivs Aetivs - 12-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Seleucid cataphract - by Michael J. Taylor - 12-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Seleucid cataphract - by Renatus - 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Seleucid cataphract - by Renatus - 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM