Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle?
In my opinion that tombstone from Ribchester shows a cavalryman with a batavian style helmet. [Image: 6226229937_85c46b5174_b.jpg]
The head is big, and with hair with locks. It's strange to me a cavalryman without head protection, so probably it's represented with his integral mask helmet.

By the way, i have seen many times Timetrotter (Germany) cavalry group. One of his cavalryman, Michael Theren, rides always in a Xanten alike helmet, with a mask. I never thought he was limited by the fact of wearing such mask, even he can strikes with his spatha or spear better than his comrades. In his mock battles, he is not handicaped too by wear a mask. So, probably very trained cavalrymen have not trouble to wears masks in battle. Experimental archaeology in this particular aspect have to be done with a lot of training before. Roman writers tells that a soldier can mount in a horse fully armed, even at gallop. I can't do it, this don't tell us romans cant do it, only tells i havent trained enough.

Messages In This Thread
Did Roman cavalry wear face-masks in battle? - by LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 05-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did roman legions ever wear breeches? Leoshenlong 1 249 09-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Any battle where Roman & Sparta face enemy SAJID 7 3,714 10-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Roman \'wear and tear\' on the battle line? Tempestvvv 24 12,481 09-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Tempestvvv