Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue.
Thank you very much Giannis! That is both relieving and enlightening to know. I've been curious because twice I've seen images of re-enactors with what looks like a very furry (imaginably more comfortable) filler of sorts placed into their central porpax, and I've seen a few also with nothing inside of it at all. I had heard that the aspis may have been far lighter than what I've gotten from this reconstruction indeed. I had weighed it recently and it was nearly 24 pounds! I'm willing to accept that it's probably heavier than it should be, but as is, the porpax right now is quite painful on the fore-arm. Or was, rather, prior to my make-shift comfort materials. It must pain re-enactors who carry something of similar weight without such attachments, which I've seen before, too.

A pity if like me, they might be unaware that they could go ahead and add to the naked bronze so it's not such a crushing force on their arms.

Very good news this has been for me. And yet, I wouldn't quite know how to affix a wooden core, where to get one or how to shape it exactly. I've taken part in no construction whatsoever, personally, so much as on-hand improvisation. I don't necessarily intend to re-enact or create a full panoply so much as just an accurate and functional aspis. (Although I'd love a good corinthian, at this point.)

I was considering figuring out some way to have someone forge a nice bronze cover for it, but I'm unaware of the costs, and to re-iterate, precisely how to affix it. So sadly, I might stop short on finding a nice way to paint the outside, finding something to cover the inside of it in, then and most important to actually using it, something to make this porpax more comfortable. It definitely stands to reason that a large porpax would leave the fore-arm too much room, and would press against it uncomfortably.

I notice this Manning Imperial model has something in the porpax, though it was quite out of my spending range.

http://www.manningimperial.com/catalogue...-aspis/614

Well, failing wood, is there some other material I can cobble up and put to use that's at the least, historically accurate and readily available?

My best regards, thank you again for the responses.

Messages In This Thread
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Janas Aurora - 08-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Huovi - 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Your aspis and you, my comfort issue. - by Kineas - 11-19-2014, 09:11 PM