Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii
Quote:
Michael Kerr post=361588 Wrote:I also thought that Palmyran mailed cavalry were called clibanarii. Confusedmile:
Not as far as I am aware
Correction: Festus, Breviarium, 24 refers to Palmyrene clibanarii. However, this is the only source that does and I think that it is anacronistic.

Quote:I get that cataphracti is a general term - what I have difficulty with is envisioning the Romans being so very nice in their usage of clibanarii.
Clibanarius/clibanarii occurs infrequently in literary sources, much more in official documents such as the Notitia and in papyri. I know of only four sources in which the term is used for non-Roman troops: Eutropius 6.9 and Festus 15, both describing Armenian cavalry at the battle of Tigranocerta and plainly anacronistic; Festus 24 describing Zenobia's Palmyrene cavalry and also, in my opinion, probably anacronistic; and SHA 56.5, mentioned in earlier posts in relation to Persian cavalry, and also probably anacronistic or just plain wrong. I am struck that Ammianus mentions Persian cataphracti or cataphracti equites on seven occasions and never once calls them clibanarii.

Quote:Also, Renatus, the existence of the clibanarii units with non-Roman ethnic names such as. Equites Persae Clibanarii is very suggestive of Romans regarding Persians as capable of being clibanarii.
Yes, but these are Roman units, so naturally they have a Roman name, whatever the ethnic origins of their personnel.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii - by Renatus - 11-19-2014, 12:41 PM