Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii
Quote:Yes, I can. Remains of one were thought to have been found at Dura, and at other sites. They are depicted quite often on top of scale armor but mail with scale is much rarer. Comitatus has a picture of a reconstruction that one of their soldiers is wearing on their "Soldiers through the ages" page at 440ad.
I take it that this is a response to my request for you to show us an example of this:

Quote:In the third century, some of the infantry and cavalry wore scale gorgets over their regular scale or mail armor. It looked a lot like the cavalry shoulder doublings of past principate times. The cavalry could have worn scale over their mail in other places too.
I have looked in Simon James' report on the arms and armour from Dura and can see nothing relating to such gorgets or anything like them. I have also looked in Bishop & Coulston and there is nothing there either, other than a reference to a sculpture from Brigetio which may show a metallic gorget. I have looked on the Comitatus website. The reference that you give to that is a photograph of an unarmoured archer. You may be thinking of the one above it in which a soldier wearing mail does have something around his neck but it bears no resemblance to what you describe.

This is not good enough. If you are going to make this sort of dogmatic statement, you should be prepared to give us reliable references, so that we can check whether your assertions are sustainable.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
Illustrations of Sassanid Persian Clibanarii - by Renatus - 11-30-2014, 10:11 PM