Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about simple Sarmatian/Alan kit
I have to disagree with you on that point Evan as I think the sagaris was an effective cavalry weapon which would have been handy in close-order combat as it had a longer handle for cavalry use from horseback, a lot like the images of Amazons in Greek pottery etc. It would have been the effective utility tool of all nomads and would have been handy for breaking up & cutting hard dried mutton carried by the various nomadic groups from Sarmatians, Alans & Huns for winter when game was scarce, for at least till they adapted to sedentary lifestyles for food on campaigns and to quickly break up branches for firewood for warmth & cooking & religious purposes & status symbols for chiefs although I think the blade of the axe was set more at an angle to the handle and not perpendicular sometimes up to 90 degrees at least according to Grousset in his book Empire of the steppes. Alans & Sarmatians would have adopted Roman weaponry over time I can think of no Roman utility tool/weapon that would have replaced the sagaris/battleaxe to punch a hole in enemy infantry helmets or unhorsing enemy horsemen or even killing their horse thereby disabling its rider.. :-)

[attachment=12431]image_2015-06-10.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Questions about simple Sarmatian/Alan kit - by Michael Kerr - 06-11-2015, 02:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Sarmatian or early Alan costume Nieczar 7 4,078 07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Nieczar