Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hellenized, romanized and celticized Sarmatians?
Going by Sulimiski in his book The Sarmatians it was the Roxolani who seized all the steppe lands between the Don and the Dneiper in the 2nd century BC forcing the Scythians to abandon their defences on the lower Dnieper and being driven to the western side of Crimea or the lands of the mysterious Taurians who could have been Scythians or some say remnants of the Cimmerians. It seems clear that Skilurus either allied himself to them or subjugated them but I don’t think he was a Sarmatian/Siraces. Over time the Crimean Scythians constantly fought over Chersonesus with the Bosporan Kingdom which was probably closely aligned with the Siraces. But it seems that the Roxolani dominated the Crimean Scythians after that till the Romans sent a garrison to Chersonesus and maintained good relations with the Bosporan Kingdom.

I am not sure of how many La Tene swords were found in the Crimea (2 I think as well as numerous Celtic fibulae) but Sulimiski thought the Bastarnae were La Tene Celts but others think they were Germanic and they had a presence on the western and north-western shores of the Black Sea and would have traded weapons and armour with the Crimean Scythians and possibly elements of the Roxolani although reading Tacitus, the Roxolani swords seemed to be of more eastern influence similar to the swords shown on the Orlat battle plaques. But the sword found may have been a status symbol changing hands a few times as it passed from Switzerland to possibly Olbia and into Skilurus's hands. I think there were depictions of Celtic shields found in Ukraine as well. Alanus knows his swords, scabbard slides and Sarmatian weaponry so maybe he could help you with your kit.

I think the Scythians although they had reduced influence remained in western Crimea at least till 3rd century AD, as they were defeated by a Roman garrison which was stationed at Cheronesus in the 1st century AD. Smile
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Hellenized, romanized and celticized Sarmatians? - by Michael Kerr - 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM