Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Body Armour, Hilary & John Travis
Has anyone read this? At first glance it is very good, hard to put down in fact. My criticism is that it is perhaps a bit light on the finer details of Roman maille construction but then it mostly, understandably, concentrates a lot of detail on segmental armour. It contains an interesting re-examination of the Corbridge finds and suggests that current reconstructions are based on erroneous previous interpretations and drawings: Mainly regarding shoulder plate contouring to better fit a human form and reversal of the shoulder pieces with the mid-upper shoulder guard having the point facing inwards towards the neck. It also gives evidence of better body contouring of the breast plates on some segmental armour. Does anyone know whether there has been a reconstruction using this re-interpretation: Also, whether there has been a challenge to this re-interpretation in academic circles? I guess, my question is, is this book and the re-interpretation reliable enough to be able base a reconstruction on? JF

Messages In This Thread
Roman Body Armour, Hilary & John Travis - by Jonathan Fletcher - 08-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Protecting the Body in War and Combat. Metal Body Armour in Bronze Age Europe Gunthamund Hasding 1 1,575 11-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Roman Body Armour Edited Gaius Julius Caesar 2 2,328 11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman Body Armour by H & J Travis Nathan Beal 45 12,480 05-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Last Post: mcbishop